Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bubble Pizza, Yum!!

I will be the first to admit that I am not a very good cook. I struggle everyday to come up with a somewhat nutritious meal to feed my family for dinner. Over the years, I've invested in many cookbooks. The problem is that most of the recipes take a long time to prepare and require many obscure ingredients that I never have on hand. I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are quick and easy. And, as a bonus, hopefully easy to remember so I don't always have to pull out the recipe to prepare it. I came across this recipe from fabulesslyfrugal. It was nice and easy to prepare, the girls like it, and it was cheap (when you factor in the cost of each ingredient). Here it is:

Bubble Pizza

INGREDIENTS

2 cups pizza cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand)
Browned sausage (you can also use hamburger, pepperoni, or bacon)
1 jar of pizza sauce I just use pasta sauce
2 tubes buttermilk biscuits.
*Note: I don’t put veggies in this b/c my family doesn’t like the veggies, but feel free to add whatever you would order on your own pizza.

DIRECTIONS

Step #1: Brown and drain the meat.
Step #2: Cut the 2 tubes of biscuits into quarters. I like to use my kitchen scissors for this
Step #3: Put the biscuits into a bowl along with the jar of pizza sauce.
Step #4: Add the meat and any other toppings you may have.
Step #6: Mix it all together. I just throw it all in a glass pan and mix it right in there. I try to dirty up as few dishes as possible!:)
Step #7: Pour into a baking dish (ungreased).
Step #8: Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Step #9: No, I didn’t forget the cheese! After baking for 20 minutes, take it out and add your cheese. Now pop it back in the over for 10 more minutes.

I used ground turkey and I made my own biscuit dough from a box of Bisquick I purchased for next to nothing with coupons.
Here's my breakdown of cost per item:
1 1/4 pound ground turkey - about $2 (I bought this during a buy 1 get 1 free sale)
pasta sauce - free (my mom made this and canned it for me but I also recently bought a few jars of pasta sauce for free too)
olives - maybe $0.25 (I bought the cans a long time ago, before I was using coupons so I can't remember exactly but they were probably less than $1 per can and I only used about 1/3)
Bisquick mix - maybe $0.10 (I bought a big box for probably less than $0.50 and I used 2/3 cups from the box so $0.10 is an overestimate)
4 tbsp egg white mix to make the biscuits - maybe $0.25
2 cups cheese - $0.37 (I bought this during a BIG sale. I got 10 bags of shredded cheese for $0.37 each!)
We also warmed up some Rhodes rolls which were $0.50 and some frozen corn which was $1.50.
So total for an entire meal was about $5! I think that's a great price for a good meal.
When you have a chance, try this recipe and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment